Sunday, May 10, 2009

Going Back to the Basics


My wife asked if I had wanted to go fishing the other day. I gave her a puzzled look because it would be the first time we had ever been fishing together, so I jumped at the chance. We grabbed a couple of ultra-lights, my tackle box, and we were out the door. We get to the lake and begin setting up. As I was unloading our folding camping chairs she asked “what are we going to be fishing for?” I thought about it for a second and said “whatever swim’s buy and wants to cooperate.” She got a grin on her face and I thought to myself, when was the last time I did not care about what I caught or even caught anything at all?


I set up our poles with a slip float, split shot, and a hooked tipped with a night crawler and we were ready to go. I have never been one to take many things for granted, but I had started to take fishing like this for granted. The last time I fished with a worm and bobber was about 5 years ago. I had gotten caught up with the fancy baitcasters, the incredible selection of crank bait colors, and the super lines that we have all come accustomed to. Today I was not consumed by trying to catch the biggest bass possible (although it was in the back of my mind), but I was more concerned about spending time in the outdoors with my wife with an opportunity to catch any kind of fish. Which brings me to my point, could we leave all of the fancy gear and the big boat at home, pick up a spinning rod and maybe a canoe and catch the same quality fish?


That is just what I am going to do this summer. I am going to fish with a spinning rod and reel, eight pound monofilament, and what I can fit into an 11”x9” tackle storage box. The challenges presented by this will not only make me a better angler, but draw me closer to the sport I love. I want to challenge all of you to go back to the simplest form of fishing and not only enjoy fishing, but enjoy the great outdoors, just like you did when you were a kid.



A little bit about me:

I am a junior at Northwest Missouri State University in Maryville, Mo. majoring in Organizational Communications. I play football as well, I am the punter. When I am not studying or playing football I am a part time hunting guide for Pro Outfitters in Mound City, Mo. I have been fishing since I was old enough to hold a pole. I started fishing overseas because my dad works for the government as a Recreation Director for the military. I started fishing in the States when I was 13 years old and have spent many hours targeting everything from crappie to carp and everything in between.


I am blessed to have a wife that understands my obsessions with the outdoors and even joins in from time to time.

1 comment:

  1. Last year I started my own mealworm colony. I've been going back to live bait as well. Only I modified my fishing a bit. I fish a "drop shot" like rig with the hook above the weight and fish it in a variety of ways.

    ReplyDelete